Wednesday, August 30, 2006

speed reading

A long time ago I found a neat little program that allowed you to
paste any text into it. It would then present you with that text one
word at a time a preset and controllable speed. Using it, I found I
could get my reading speed up about 1.5 times what it is normally.
It was demo-ware and the full version was about 40 bucks. I was
broke at the time and did not buy it. I believe the company that
made it is now out of business.....

Enter Web 2.0 goodness.

http://www.spreeder.com/

Essentially the same thing for free on the web.
try it out. You will find your reading speeding up and your
retention/comprehension getting better as well. The downside is that:

a) you cannot focus on anything else while you are doing this
b) you have to read at your computer, and only stuff on a computer
c) you have to cut/paste everything into it to use it. (the local/
commercial version allowed you to open text files and web-pages, no C/
Ping necessary).

Enjoy!

1 comment:

yitz said...

i guess i wasn't born to be a speed-reader.. this thing drives me crazy .. i'm so stubborn i'm unwilling to read the words put up on the screen one at a time.. and for some reason i can't sew the sequence together into sentences properly .. it doesn't work for me @ all. it just becomes a mish-mash of ideas.. i think actually if it was faster i could use it to very quickly grok what a 20 page thesis was saying .. but i think for just reading any old text of indeterminate length it drives my brain bonkers.. it's painful. i think i scan asequentially when i read, so i can't handle sequetial input well.