Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Embedded Linux Router Hacked for Sprinkler Control

Why buy a sprinkler controller when you can make your own. And if you are making your own anyway, might as well make the DIY Sprinkler Controller better than any off the shelf models available. At least that is what Arek Jankowski decided to do!

"Arek combines a wireless router, NAS, and a USB Bit Whacker to take control of his sprinkler system. Reflash the router and NAS with linux, add some PHP and USB controlled phototriacs to the sprinkler controller and control it all from the comfort of your PC. I wanted to have a way of controlling both systems from my PC. The idea was to create something that would allow me to remotely turn on and off the sprinklers for each zone without going down to the basement to set it up on the Hunter controller or without going down to the garage to open the faucet. I have a wireless access point set up in the house for my wife's laptop and this is what I also used in this project. The project involved hardware, software and a little bit of plumbing work. Below I will describe what I did to get this all working."

No comments: