Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I lIke Stuff

I read Kevin kelly's Cool Tools blog every now and again.  I use it to put together imaginary survival kits for the car.  This is, of course, aside from all the 'normal' stuff that goes into such a kit

For instance, I would use this to hold it all:
Viewtainer
Cheap, mini-tool storage


The Viewtainer is an inexpensive, flexible plastic tube with a rubbery cap at both ends. Originally, they were intended to hold small parts (screws, nuts, bolts, etc.). On one end the rubber cap has a slash in it, so when you squeeze the tube, you can dump the parts out. Although these Viewtainers may work well for storing parts, I've found that one of the larger Viewtainers, which is about 8" x 3", is an awesome mini-toolkit container that's easy to access and stash. It's amazing how many different useful (and in some cases, full-size) tools, you can fit into such a tiny container: screwdrivers, sockets, specialty bits, pliers, mini-saws, tire irons, flashlights, and on. I keep one in my car, one in my bike bag, and one in my study on the second floor so I don't have to run out to the garage every time I need a screwdriver. -- Sam Mapadatha Viewtainer $4 (8" x 2.75") Available from and manufactured by Viewtainer


And in it I would include:


One of these:

http://tinyurl.com/3xo2lk

Atwood Mini Tools
Keychain-size, steel pocket utensils

The beauty of these tools is they feel like a fetish item in your hand and, due to their size, you can always have them with you. They're handmade by Peter Atwood and have incredible strength because he uses a specialty stainless steel made via a powder metallurgy process ("The powder is compressed under significant force to a homogenous, solid state and the steel is rolled to required stock size. Molecules are uniform, inclusions of impurities are insignificant"). Both of my EDC knives -- a Swiss Army Cybertool and a SOG Multi Tool -- have slightly bent tips on the main blades because I tried to open or pry something I shouldn't have. That will never happen with the Mini Son of Prything I carry in my pocket or my Prybaby. The trend in tools is to include more and more features. An Atwood piece - and there are a variety of them worth checking out -- is generally designed to do a couple of things really well, and it does: open a package, pull a nail, cut some tape, strip a wire, etc. There are obviously other discovered tasks -- like propping up a new power supply in my computer while I get a couple of screws in -- but it's calling on that intended purpose that is most gratifying. -- Greg Needham Atwood Mini Tools $35+ Available from Atwood Knife & Tools


And one of these: 

http://tinyurl.com/39xklh

Credit Card Survival Tool
Wallet-size multi-tool

I have two friends who've been carrying these slim, multi-tools for a few years now and swear by them. I've only used the mini-screwdriver and bottle opener, but those functions alone seem worth it. It's stainless steel and will add some weight to your load, but no more than the average metal beverage pop-top. Why junk up your keychain when you can slip another "card" into your wallet? Added bonus: can opener, straight edge, knife edge, et al. -- Steven Leckart

Credit Card Survival Tool $5 Available from Fishboy Manufactured by BCB Survival USA [This item was previously available via Amazon, so you may want to check if it's back in stock -sl]


And next to that would be one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2cz4hj

Gas-O-Haul Collapsible emergency gasoline can

This disposable fiberboard container folds flat and has a bladder that can hold a gallon of gas (about 14" by 6" by 2"). I've yet to have a car emergency, but I've used it for a prosaic fill up on a lawn mower. No leaks, easy to carry and cheap to replace. Keeping one around is handy and comforting, and it's way better than the bulky plastic ones that have bounced around in the back of my car for years. -- Vincent Gas-O-Haul $9 Available from Genuine Hot Rod


ANd an empty one of these:

Sigg Aluminum Water Bottles Non-plastic beverage containers

These bottles are a great solution for anyone looking to get away from plastic. In the last few years, studies have suggested that using plastic bottles may be harmful to your health. For instance, plastic bottles made of polycarbonate (#7 recycle code) contain a substance called bisphenol-A (BPA), which acts as an endocrine disrupter that mimics estrogen and has been linked to aneuploidy, adipogenesis, and other scary problems with funny names. Found in plastics with recycle codes 1-5, phthalates (the chemical that softens plastic) can be carcinogenic and act as endocrine disrupters, too. Even water standing at room temperature in a plastic bottle can leach phthalates from a bottle, not to mention a bottle that goes through temperature changes throughout a day. Granted there's been great debate over all these studies and whether the levels of leached phthalates in the average plastic bottle are really high enough to merit health concerns. Either way, just think about the toxic byproducts of plastic production: dioxin (a carcinogen) and plastic waste. Enormous amounts of plastic waste from all those bottles that aren't recycled create equally enormous vortexes of plastic garbage in various oceans, where they wreak havoc on marine life. Moving away from plastic is healthier for the planet. The Sigg bottles are just a tad heavier than their plastic counterparts. The water-based, polymer coating is taste-neutral and acid-resistant (think fruit juices), and guaranteed for the life of the bottle (5 years according to the manufacturer). They come in a variety of eye-catching designs and sizes. You can also purchase a variety of caps (i.e. the sport top) that increase the utility of the bottle for your specific needs. -- Ari Cohn Sigg Aluminum Water Bottles $16 Available from Amazon (1 liter, in blue)



And this seems very useful:

http://tinyurl.com/3b5om5

Stanley Tripod Flashlight Portable, hands-free LED lighting

I replaced my D battery Mag-Light with this small LED light that only needs AA batteries. I get whiter light, longer life, and more intensity. Tripod lights have always been great tools (I work at Amazon, so I see a lot of gear). The problem with the traditional ones is they get very hot, use lot of battery power, and burn out fast. Stanley's tripod light - the first LED version - takes all the advantages of LED and combines it with the convenience of a fold up stand.

I have already used it for a variety of household projects since I bought it last year. The best use has been to install dimmers. Usually I'd have to do this during the day or ask my wife to hold the flashlight. With the tripod light, I can now do it by myself at any time. -- Jason Goldberger Stanley Tripod Flashlight $24 Available from Amazon Manufactured by Stanley



No comments: