Monday, November 13, 2006

RSS Shopping Feeds

So this is a cool idea that i totally did not think of at all in any way shape or form, AND I am not being facetious or sarcastic.... I really did not think of this:

Using RSS to deliver notification of deals in shopping, specifically (and most usefully) on searches you create.

In other words, you go to Ebay and search for 'Tables', then refine your search and sign up for/create a RSS feed that basically does your search over and over again, giving you only the new results in a nice readable feed like format.  Or rather, nothing feed-like about it, it IS a feed.

Ok, so here is where I got this from (I suggest visiting the page, they have lots more useful stuff there):


and here is the infoz itself:

As I researched my post about holiday shopping using RSS feeds, I realized how convenient it would be to have a summarized list of all the shopping sites that offer RSS feeds. I also received some great suggestions for shopping sites I didn’t know about. In my previous post I failed to look at MSN shopping which offers RSS feeds for specific search terms and searches a large list of major retailers.

I decided to create a list of all the shopping sites I know of that offer RSS feeds. I’ve indicated whether the feeds are preset like “newest items” versus feeds that allow you to customize by search term. Feel free to bookmark this page and use it as your reference guide for holiday shopping. It’s everything you need right in one place.

If your favorite shopping site doesn’t offer an RSS feed, you can use Feed Whip to create your own. I haven’t had a chance to test it thoroughly, but it looks very versatile.

I also had a commenter tell me about a nice software-based RSS reader called Snarfer that bridges the gap between web-based and software-based readers by allowing you to sync your feeds with Bloglines.com. I’ve tried it out and really like it. It may be my new RSS reader of choice.

Please post any sites I’ve missed in the comments section and I’ll add them to this list.

Site
Preset RSS Feeds
Feed for search terms?
RSS Feed location
Notes
No preset feeds
Yes
Bottom right on search results page

 

No preset feeds
No
N/A
You can subscribe to Amazon.com feeds through other sites like Baebo and Spendfish (see below).
No preset feeds
Yes
Bottom of search results page

 

No

 

No preset feeds
Yes
Top of search results
The basic search and RSS feeds provide results from Amazon.com. If you want to see results from eBay or Yahoo! Shopping, click on the links below the search fields. Once you complete a search, you can refine the category at the top of the search results. Once the search is refined enough, then subscribe to the RSS feed.
No
Upper right hand corner
Deals and Coupons for a variety of large and small retailers including feeds for deals at specific retailers.
Yes
Upper right hand corner
Clipfire shows aggregated results from a number of different “deals” sites.
Yes, for some terms
Upper right corner of home page
This site offers printable coupons, links to Sunday newspaper ads, and Forums.
No
Bottom right
Forums, Wiki, Store Ratings
No
Top of category results
Also features most popular coupons (but no feed). Store-specific coupons. Clearance items
No
Top of page
Printable grocery coupons
No
Right navigation towards top
Technology and General items
No
In header below tabs
Also offers coupons and promotions
No
Bottom right

 

-Custom feed builder (bottom of page. It was acting a little buggy)
Yes

 

Features mostly Amazon.com deals. The RSS feeds can be buggy in Firefox2.0. Try using Internet Explorer.



No comments: