Friday, March 11, 2005

looking for bomb residue in all the wrong deserts

Good morning everyone, how are you all doing today? I am in a good mood because I am looking forward to NOT sleeping sunday night. For reasons that will remain my own (get your mind out of the gutter, those are not the reasons) I will likely get no more than two consecutive hours of sleep sunday night and no more than 5 total. Oddly I am looking forward to this, it has been many years since I have had reason to get too little sleep and I miss it... no clue why, I know thats stupid but the truth is I am looking forward to it and it has me in a good mood.

Now on to more serious stuff. I have decided I need to come up with a direction for my blog, rather than just repeating everything that is out there, otherwise how will I make money? what's that you say? Blogs are not about making money? then why the hell am I doing this?

I have always loved hiking. I like looking at nature, seeing what secret little place hides behind every turn in the trail. I just have never had the time to do any serius hiking. If I did here is one trial I would consider. I know someone who did the trail and met/fell in love with his wife while doing it. Except for the lack of showers its supposed to be amazing.

Ever wondered why Apple still ships all their computers with single button mice? GearLive (never heard of them before today) has an interesting view as to why this continues and why its actually a good idea. I was all set to dispute and disagree with them, but the editorial

I am a big Anime fan. I love the fansubs as it lets me get into shows that would otherwise not come to america, but I understand the worries of the animation shops that are currently asking fansubs to stop, it kills their chances to bring the series over to america later on (or so they believe).
On the other end of things are the movies. I saw Akira when it was re-released in the theaters (saw it long before that but big screen was nice) and I loved Ghost In The Shell (have not seen the second one yet) and Spiritedhttp://www.spiritedaway.com.au/ Away was very beautiful and really well done as was Princes Mononoke.
Now for what i am actually talking about here: There is a new movie coming to America called SteamBoy and it is directed by the same guy who did Akira. Looks good, I hope they release the original voicetrack on the DVD unlike the Princess Mononoke DVD which promises the original Japanese voices but does not have it.

Remember those things I said about coal mines being bad? Well apparently it does not matter what country your in, they are still bad. A look at China's dependancy on coal fired power plants, and what they need to do in the future to avoid major mistakes.

Speaking of power plant polution, here is a quick editorial frm a publication i do not know well on the good and bad of the Clean Air Interstate Rule and why we should consider it a win.

Moving along with generating electricity in general, the Governator wants to put solar cells on 1 million california roofs (old news I know but I found a new article on it).

USE SOAP! a common yell of parents at children the world over. Seems they are right. A recent study looked at all kinds of hand sanitizing systems using real world variables (washing for ten seconds not ten minutes). They found that while the alcohol based hand sanitizers worked on bacteria they did not work well on viruses, and in general not as well as anti-microbial agents.

Back to world Politics: Annan seeks terror treaty to outlaw attacks on civilians. This could be very good or very bad. the reason it could be bad is that what happens when civilians are aiding and training terrorists? For instance, in Israel they have a major problem in that a family will house and arm a suicide bomber, but not bomb anything themselves. If Israel attacks a house to get at a bomber before he commits his act of terrorism, would then Israel be guilty of terror attacks on civilians? What i am saying is that this will have to be carefully worded not to be misused as a political weapon.

In other news, a 'typo' in an American report on past nuclear tests has made Sudan a little jumpy. The report claimed that the US tested bombs in the Sudanese desert, when according to everything known about the US bomb program says all testing was done in Nevada. Sudan is checking into it just to be safe.

Now for the most useful thing I will stick up here today: How To Make Small Talk. This is apparently a huge asset to business people and another reason I will never be a good business person. I suggest reading it to anyone currently working, or soon to be working in any field what-so-ever.

have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: